Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Rainy Day in April

The day was unusual.  It is almost May and I had to use my windshield wipers, I was underdressed for the weather with my lightweight turquoise  jacket.  I arrived at work a couple of minutes late, but so did everyone else except our faithful janitor.  We were all huddled around the stairwell and desks talking about kids and young adults leaving churches, sometimes leaving faith altogether.

We left work around the lunch hour to attend an inter-denominational symposium regarding the topic of why kids are leaving churches.  Non-denominations, Nazarenes, Anglicans, Reformed, Calvary Chapel, and Roman Catholics were all present.  We shared lunch together and listened to presentations by four presenters.  

What we found out is that we have a lot in common.  The slow fade of young people is everywhere.  Somehow, we have failed our children.  Intergenerational relationships seemed to be the most talked about topic.  A need for generations to tell one another that we need each other, reconciliation, asking forgiveness of older generations for pushing them aside while the newest and greatest church scheme was implemented, was also discussed.

Were there feelings of hopelessness?  Believe it or not, no.  I walked away with much hope.  It is in our brokenness and weakness that Jesus shows up.  We all confessed that our churches are broken.  We all confessed weaknesses.  Jesus, help your church.  Christ, have mercy on us.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. ~2 Corinthians 12

1 comment:

David Cochrane said...

Great post. Glad you could go and find encouragement.