Monday, June 24, 2013

Run Away!

There's a famous scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail where the knights encounter a killer rabbit.  The end of the scene is the famous line, "Run away!  Run away!"  I think about this line often when I am talking to fellow Christians.

Like Moses, we want to run away from the task God gives us to do.... preach good news and make disciples.  We come up with all kinds of excuses to not partake of the joy found in setting others free.  I am saying "we" because I include myself.  "That's the evangelism committee's job."  "I'm not an evangelist, I don't have that gift."  "I tried it once and I was very uncomfortable."   "I have other things to tend to."  Freedom, and the reaction others have to it,  is intimidating.  Freedom as a believer is still scary.

Many people react poorly to the news that their sins are forgiven for Christ's sake.  "Who me?  I'm not a sinner you dirty so-and-so Christian," said through gritted teeth.  But joy comes when one who receives the the good news of Jesus' forgiveness and has then found freedom and pardon!  Truly, who would not want to participate in that gift?  To see another sinner set free is joy.

Jesus told the demon possessed man to return to the people who chained him and ostracized him.  His assignment:  to set them free too (Luke 8:26-39).  Who are you to go to to set free with the good news of Jesus Christ's forgiveness?  Experience that joy!















1 comment:

David Cochrane said...

Great on lil sis! It is real fun to see pastors tell the congregation it is their job and then they tell him it is his job. Christ have mercy!