Sunday, May 5, 2013

Boldly Going Where Angels Fear to Tread

Have you ever stood before a judge in a courtroom?  It is full of ceremony and stiffness.  "All rise!" says the bailiff as the judge enters the room.  "You may be seated!" the bailiff pronounces after the judge takes his seat.  "First case on the docket today is People of the State of California vs. James Smith."  Then the lawyers announce their presence, and off they go into formal presentation.

That used to be how I felt coming before our heavenly Father.  It was a fearsome thing to pray to God, the judge of all creation.  Groveling was the approach of the day, attempting to be humble, averting my eyes lest He see me in my ugly sinfulness.  "Lord, if it be your will .... "

God is still the judge of all creation, but I am His adopted daughter.  He is a loving Father and never gives me rocks or stones when I am hungry for bread.  I can bring all my emotions to Him and not be afraid of His answer.  Ugly emotions, scary emotions, ugly thoughts and scary thoughts.  He listens then shows me in His word that I am forgiven because of His grace, expressed in Jesus Christ, my savior.

Praise Him!


 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.  ~Hebrews 4, ESV

No comments: