Monday, June 8, 2009

Seeing Red


Some time over the weekend was spent watching "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with my family. It stars Errol Flynn as Robin Hood, Olivia DeHaviland as Maid Marion, Basil Rathbone as Guy of Gisbourne , and Claude Rains as Prince John. The cast is full of other famous actors and actresses as well. I highly recommend the film to you, dear Reader.

It is a film full of sensory overload. The musical score was a delight to my ears; harp, violins, woodwinds, brass, percussion, and I think a xylophone. The Technicolor is amazingly beyond reality. The colors are so saturated they are a treat to my eye. It is difficult not to be taken aback by the sights and sounds, particularly in our modern age where most things are done electronically.

Watching the red contrasted to the greens and blues, my mind turned to consider Jesus' blood. As rich as the red of the evil Guy of Gisbourne's cape, my Jesus' red blood was richer yet. Guy of Gisbourne's red cape, covered his grey chainmaille; similarly, Jesus' blood covers my dark sin. In Jesus' blood is eternal life; in the death of my savior is my life.

No comments: